Sunday, October 5, 2008

'Sleepypeechy' Used to Be My Screen Name

Last night, I made my way to bed around 3 a.m. after watching the SNL VP debate skit, which may be viewed here. Don't worry--I'm not going to talk about politics right now. Anyway, I unwillingly got out of bed around noon today and since then, I feel like I've been in a perpetual state of drowsiness. Attempts to read my Critical Care Nursing textbook this afternoon only facilitated my trip to dreamland. (Thank you for waking me up with your phone calls, Sharon!) One would think that after sleeping for nine hours, a person should be functioning at a level of high alertness. This is never the case for me and I don't know why. I have a slight idea, but I don't really know why.

What is the point of all this nonsensical babbling? For starters, sleep is, in a sense, a huge waste of time and the fact that I need so much of it kind of impedes on my productivity and my ability to make better use of time.

I tend to doze off (or feel the need to) in class lectures and labs, which often have an enrollment of less than fifteen students. Sometimes when I am having a conversation with someone, my eye lids will begin to feel heavy and closing them for a few precious seconds gives me more relief than emptying a full bladder. (Exaggeration is a fundamental life skill.) If I sleep for less than eight hours on any given night, I will most likely be tired, pissy, and easily ticked-off the following day. Ten or eleven hours of shuteye is ideal. I can sleep for twelve hours straight without experiencing the slightest urge to get up and do something else. The funny thing is I've been this way most of my life. Since kindergarten, I have always hated waking up early for school and I would always take naps in class. Regardless, I cannot seem to function optimally with or without sleep.
Seriously. Wtf.

I've been trying to convince myself that there is some sort of physiological reason for this. Maybe a fluid/electrolyte imbalance or hypoglycemia? Perhaps my brain isn't being perfused adequately? I do have low blood pressure (100/66 or less) and my respiration rate is low-normal (hovering around 12 per minute). Do these numbers have anything to do with it? Who knows.

My random bouts of sleepiness could also be related to something psychological or subconscious. Maybe I get sleepy because I'm bored or utterly uninterested. Perhaps I lack the motivation to participate in the task at hand (learning, conversing, etc.). Who knows.

Or maybe I just truly prefer to be curled up under a sea of comforting blankets in my own little safe haven so I can dream about something more intriguing and fulfilling than this reality.


P.S.- Coffee helps from time to time, but its laxative/diuretic effects are uncalled for.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

I was wondering when you'd actually post something. Nice kickoff post. Long and substantive :-)

I was just thinking the other day that my blog posts feel more like quick clips with no real insights. http://sharonj8.blogspot.com/

Utterly relatable topic btw- I'm sometimes called Snorlax by my siblings. The Elder lecture on sleep drove the point home to me that I have A LOT of bad sleeping habits, and I don't believe I can do much about it until I move out. At the same time it does help to have something to wake up for instead of dreading tomorrow. I feel like there are a lot of things I would like to do, quite a few of which has to do with pursuing knowledge, but I'm so resentful of the busy work that I opt to be unproductive.

P.S. One little suggestion, you may want to start getting in the habit of labeling your posts so that they will be easier to navigate later on.

incognitical said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dolly said...

I agree with Sharon, this is a nice kickoff post. =)

I never really understood how you stay up into the wee hours of the morning studying and still manage to get the grades. I am indeed envious. But, getting back to the topic, your sleep issues sounds more psychological because of how you perceive sleep and the purpose of sleep. As well, it is poor sleep hygiene, remember Professor Boltz (or is it Dr. Boltz?) saying "the bed is for sleeping and sex, not eating breakfast." I think that because you are so use to your sleeping pattern and studying habit it is hard to change. Old habits die hard. The other question is, do you want to change?

Recently, I watched bits and pieces of a Chinese movie, one of the TVB series. There was a small clip about this young girl who was falling asleep in class and she was not doing her homework. Her parents had to switch her to different schools. One of the cast, playing as a tutor realize that the daughter was an exceptional brilliant child, possibly a child genius. Maybe you are one of those kind of kids and you never got a chance to bring out your real talent?

P.S. Do you still use or have the screen name 'sleepypeechy' anymore?

bunniecakes said...

WOW! Your writing is more amazing than I ever remembered. This was REALLY nicely written; mad props to ya. I love the description of the sea of blanket... mmm. I love sleep also. Wow, people wrote essays as comments! Darn, I cannot compete. Maybe you should try sleeping earlier lol. Early to bed, early to rise...
Sleep IS productive! Sufficient sleep makes you more alert and smart =)

Anonymous said...

your post just put me to sleep...zzZZZ..i suggest u read it..it'll help ur insomnia XD