Saturday, July 4, 2009

I Am Starving

Human beings always talk about how things happen for a reason and how everything is meant to be--how it's either fate, destiny, or both. As if free will and chance hardly play a role in shaping our lives. The hardest part about accepting outcomes as consequences of choices we make is we also have to live with the possibility that we are the ones who brought ourselves to this conclusion.

We have the power to write our own stories, with occasional interference from chance. I have always believed that when you dissociate yourself from your decisions, you are running from accountability and reality. Sometimes we want to look to a god, the stars, or some other scapegoat to shift the blame on, such as when we don't get something we want or when someone dies because it is his or her "time". It isn't easy to admit that our choices can lead us to the very places that we never wanted to be.

It's moments like this that allow me to understand why it is necessary to believe that certain things happen for reasons unknown to us. It helps you get over it. It's comforting to know that you didn't really miss out on anything because it wasn't yours to begin with and something better awaits. It is so simple to say that someone else did this to your life--someone other than you. Some thing decided that now is not the time--you were supposed to miss that opportunity and any efforts to craft a different ending would have been futile. It would be really easy to put the past behind me and move forward if I could convince myself to truly believe that...and it would be really easy to rid myself of this heavy feeling called responsibility.

2 comments:

S said...

Responsibility is the price of being an adult. I sure miss the days when I wasn't responsible for anything. What's worst is that I've allowed myself to be responsible for other people.

bunniecakes said...

yeah it IS supposed to make you feel better. so why fight it? just believe it and move on and let go. life is easier than what we make it. and a lot of times, later on, things DO happen for the better. and in retrospect, you can see how everything just sorta unfolds the way it should've.